Just a moment ago it seemed I had 2 weeks left in the UK. Today I sit dumbfounded that I have a week and 2 days left. I already know I will miss England very much, but it is time to go home, as I am utterly broke and in desperate need of a job. It will be good to go back to New Mexico and bum off my parents for a month before I head back to the South and a full schedule again. It feels as if I have had 6 months of holiday, and I have, aside from the fact that I spent a quarter or a third of it in the library studying; but even that was an adventure, studying in a foreign country. If course, England doesn’t feel so different now, and I am well used to English accents now, as broad as they may be, except the deep Yorkshire one – can’t seem to get used to that. As for vacation, I have slept more these 6 months than I have in the last 2 years, I believe! It must be the English air. If I could store up on sleep and rest, I would be set for the next 2 years!
Well, these last few weeks have been pretty laid back and lazy, but I have managed to cross off several more very important things I must do before I leave. Here they are, along with my subsequent list of things I have to do ‘next time’, which keeps getting longer…
- Had a true weekend at the lake and camping in the Lake District.
- Saw a classic Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang car.
- Went to a Cricket match in the famous Headingly Carnegie stadium.
- Visited Golden Acre Park.
- Biked up along the Yorkshire Dales (50 miles of hills!).
- Drank Elderflower cordial with soda.
- Drank plenty of Pimms.
- Danced in Hyde Park (several times. I hope no one was watching)
- Watched the new Robin Hood film before going to Nottingham.
- Been to Wales and Scotland.
- Had Scottish whisky.
- Watched the World Cup in Millennium Square, Leeds.
- Drove my bike on the other side of the road without killing myself or anyone else.
- Played croquet.
- Drank tea every day.
- Started saying ‘bugger’, ‘well fit’, ‘massive’ and ‘hiya’
- Ate pastries for breakfast, pasties for lunch.
Must Do Next Time:
- Visit Ireland
- Visit France
- Spain again
- And Germany
- In England:
- Stratford upon Avon – birthplace of Shapkespeare
- Birmingham – see Sadler Well’s Ballet
- Go back to Nottingham and wander in Sherwood Forest
- Whitby – origin of the Count of Dracula story
- Loch Ness in Scotland, and the Highlands
- The Southern coast of England
- See a Rugby match
Never Going to Do:
- Try black pudding
- Or haggis
- Or goose liver paté
- Get so drunk I fall asleep on a park bench.
- Start calling dinner ‘tea’.
- Talk noncessantly about the weather.
- Drive a Mini.
- Say ‘fanny’ aloud in public again.
Until Next Time I go the UK:
- Keep in touch with all the good friends I made (so I have a place to stay).
- Re-learn French.
- Pick up playing the piano again.
- Get back into dancing hardcore, but maybe more contemporary.
- Get my Pilates teacher certification so I can teach again.
- Practice my proper English accent.
- Save money so I can go back again!